Sunday, October 19, 2008

Nephi and happenings of this week

Nephi is becoming more and more aware of the world around him. He isn't old enough for nursery, but last Sunday my friend from the Primary Presidency, Amy Walthall, so kindly took him from me and put him in nursery while she was in the nursery. Stuart is in the YM's presidency and I am the Relief Society Secretary and have to take roll. We were both having a hard time managing our 15 month old who DOES NOT want to sit for anything. So today during Sunday School Stuart was walking him down the hallway thinking he wanted a drink. Nephi stopped at the nursery door and started banging and crying to let him in. Luckily, my wonderful friend came and got Nephi again which made all 3 of us happy!

Nephi isn't talking much, but responds to questions that we ask him. For instance, if we ask him do you want this or that then he will shake his head yes and say, "yeah" or cry for no. He picks up the phone and says, "Hiya." If he is hungry or thirsty then he brings me a cup or plate.

Nephi sleeps in the bottom bunk (twin over full-size) with Summer. He used to cry when we'd shut the door for bedtime. But now that he is with Summer, he loves to be babied by her and stays and enjoys his siblings much more. We always have to check on them once they have fallen asleep because Nephi likes to climb up to the top of the bunk bed to play with Spencer and then falls asleep with Spencer. They seem to be staying up later and later playing and giggling when it is time to sleep. Because they seem to spend most of the day fighting, I usually allow them to stay up a little longer to giggle. I love listening to them play so well together.

Last week we started a new rule in our house that if anyone says anything mean or yells at someone then they have to tell that person 4,7, or 10 (according to age) things that they like about that person. It is amazing at how it changes all of our attitudes towards each other when we focus on the positive. We seem to start things like this and let it die. I really hope that we keep this one up. It has certainly changed my attitude when I am the one having to tell my kids 10 things that I like about them.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Sounds like Nephi is ready for nursery! I really like your idea for telling nice things. I think we might have to try it at our house.

Luke said...

Holy smokes Kathy, your kids are all grown up! I guess mine are too, but it's weird when it's someone else's kids. I love this whole blog thing. I have been able to get in touch with so many people and keep up on what they are doing with very little effort. Ours is blukany dot blogspot dot com. We are moving to California next summer, to Port Hueneme (1 hour north of LA). We'll have to come and visit you guys. Are you going to be there a while? I love your rule for saying nice things. We definitely need more of that around here.