Sunday, June 14, 2009

My Mom

I have recently been thinking a lot about the great family history work that my mother has done throughout her life. When I was a little girl I was often found complaining at a cemetary with cheese and crackers as my mom was busy collecting information for my Dad's relatives. She drug us along to so many family history conferences. I always hated it (except for the part that we were in a city and got to go out to eat!). I wish I had appreciated her efforts then as much as I do now. She has done thousands upon thousands of family branches for our relatives(along with doing their temple work).

A couple of years ago she kept having promptings to do the work for a particular woman, Mona, from Millersburg, my home town. My mother had taught this woman while serving her mission, but Mona had never joined the church. Then when my mom came back to Millersburg to marry and raise her family, she would take me to visit her. She was a darling elderly woman that passed away awhile ago. This woman never had children or any living relatives to do her work. My mom got special permission to do her work and that she did. She sent me about 125 names to do in the temple that were in Mona's family tree branches and lines. I have had some really amazing experiences with doing these names and am so grateful for my mother's sacrifice for them and for myself. Lately every time I am doing one of the names I am just

Today we had Stake Conference and it was AMAZING. Our mission president asked for older couples to serve missions and talked about how much it blesses the lives of their families back home when they serve a mission. He talked about how the temples are filled with old people that people may look at and think they should just stay home and die because they are so old (it was really funny). He talked about how much the Lord sustains them in order to accomplish what they need to. Of course this made me think of my Mom. She has had many health problems and is physically handicapped, but the Lord has made it possible for her to do her passion of family history work while living at home and while my Dad is still working. She serves in the SLC family history library a few times each week and just loves it. On her days off she is either babysitting for Derek and Tanya or doing more family history work at home. She just can't stop! I would love to see the reception she receives when she dies and is greeted by the thousands that she has helped receive the necessary ordinances that they could not have done for themselves.

Any ways, I realize this is a very sentimental post, but this has really been on my mind a lot lately because I am so grateful for my Mom!!! I love you Mom!!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, Kathy. I really appreciate that you can help me with this as you do some of the temple work for these names. I certainly could not do all of this myself. Some day when a busy momma schedule allows, I hope you will be able to experience the joys of gathering the names and documentation so you can experience the daily miracles I have received while doing this work.

Remember, you and your family are a big reason why I do this.

Love to all,
Mom Lentz

Melissa said...

That was sweet. Your mom is a great example to us all.

Sarah said...

What an amazing woman and example your mom is to all of us. She is so sweet. It would be amazing to witness the warm welcome she'll receive from the many people she has served through her family history and temple work when she reaches heaven. I'm sure she is loved by many people.

Louise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Louise said...

That was a wonderful tribute to your Mother. As I get to know her more, I realize what a wonderful and spiritual woman she is. It is a privilege to know her.